Canadians are currently dealing with a mental health crisis: terrifying suicide rates among youth, an opioid overdose epidemic, high rates of mental illness in senior nursing homes, and all of this amplified by the COVID-19 pandemic. In order to address mental health issues, Canada needs collective action, and the philanthropic sector is well-positioned to play a key role.
So how can philanthropy help? Surely, foundations and other philanthropic donors can increase financial contributions to organizations offering mental health supports or initiate mental health programs on their own. However, much can be done beyond funded activities. Philanthropists can bring mental health issues into sharper focus, advocate on behalf of vulnerable communities, build capacity within the mental health sector and collaborate with governments but also with each other.
This Special Edition on Philanthropy and Mental Health, led by PhiLab’s Western Hub, attempts to cover philanthropy’s role in dealing with mental health issues, as well as how the philanthropic sector is dealing with these same issues internally.
Enjoy your reading!
- Editorial : Philanthropy & Mental Health, by Iryna Khovrenkov, Co-director of the Western Hub
- Interview: Lesley Kelly of the Do More Agriculture Foundation, by Adriana Davis, Western Hub
Interview: Welcome Haven – community-based psychosocial support program for asylum-seeking families, by Yufei (Mandy) Wu, Quebec Hub
- Santé mentale des adolescents : qu’est-ce qui les aide à aller mieux?, by Hélène Gaudreau, Benoit Martel & Janie Houle, Quebec Hub
- Graham Boeckh Foundation – Phase I: Portrait of the Foundation, from its creation to nowadays, by Tareq Hardan, Quebec Hub
- PhiLab Western Hub Regional Conference Sessions, by the Western Hub
- Pulse-check with sector leaders on mental health, by The Philanthropist, PhiLab partner
- Building back better means healing together, by The Philanthropist, PhiLab partner
- Philanthropy for Global Mental Health 2000–2015, by Valentina Lemmi, published by Cambridge University Press
- Overwhelm and Burnout – What’s the Difference?, by Charity Village
- Enquête sur la santé psychologique des travailleurs et des travailleuses du milieu communautaire au Québec lors de la pandémie de la COVID-19, by Sophie Meunier, Alexandra Giroux, et al., Quebec Hub
- Webinaire: Portrait de la santé psychologique des travailleurs.euses communautaires, by the Laboratoire de recherche sur la santé du travail (UQÀM)
- Webinaire: Mental Health For All: The Role of Philanthropy in Supporting Mental Health, by Philanthropic Foundations Canada, PhiLab partner
December 2021 Newsletter : Philanthropy & Mental Health
- Special Edition: Philanthropy & Mental Health
- PhiLab Podcast Episode 5: The importance of mental health and the Wellbeing Project
- Next edition: January 2022 – Philanthropy for the animals
- Featured Philanthropic Profile
- Featured Alliance Content