This issue of the PhiLab Atlantic hub newsletter entitled, “Respectful community engaged research” considers how philanthropy is complimented by an engaged approach to research to guide responsive philanthropy in the Atlantic context. In a recent video posting from the PhiLab Ontario Regional Conference, Jean Marc Mangin (President and CEO of Philanthropic Foundations of Canada) begins by discussing the current big picture for the philanthropy sector in Canada, which he describes to be at a moment of opportunity for the sector to develop new social contact with Canadians. The transformational moment he describes is due to the co-occurring political, economic and social shifts that have risen out of the pandemic. He speaks of the critical role that research plays at this moment in helping to shed light on how these transformations are relevant to practice and policy.
In this issue, we highlight our recent regional conference and its engagement with communities and provide multiple perspectives on how community-based research (CBR) is being applied in the Atlantic hub.
- Editorial – Recherche respectueuse et engagée envers les communautés by Emily Doyle, Kelly Vodden and Sondra Eger, Atlantic Hub
- Giving and Taking: Reflections from an Undergraduate Greenspace Study, by Sarah Lavallée, Atlantic Hub
- The Implications of COVID For Community-Based Philanthropy Research, by Edmund Yirenkyi, Atlantic Hub
- A Community’s Perspective on Community Based Research, by Joan Cranston, Physiotherapist and Coordinator (BBCHHC)
- Why everyone should know about working alongside communities… even if you’re not a researcher. by Sondra Eger, Atlantic Hub
- Ways of doing, knowing, connecting and being: Connecting students to respectful Indigenous community research and projects, by Dr. Adela Tesarek Kincaid, Madeleine Brulotte, Jasleen Brar et Saskia Livingstone, Western Hub
- Internship-based collaborative applied research model: linking academic research projects, rural NGOs, sustainability, philanthripy, and funding, by Dr. Adela Tesarek Kincaid, Hannah J. Dueck and Leeza Perehudoff, Western Hub
September 2021 Newsletter: Respectful community-engaged research
- Special Edition: Respectful community-engaged research
- Next Edition: October 2021 – Philanthropy & COP26
- Featured Philanthropy Profile
- Alliance Article of the Month