The role played by philanthropy in times of humanitarian crisis is as much a demonstration of human ingenuity as it is one of care and solidarity. As in response to other devastating crises such as the Syrian civil war and the war in Afghanistan, Canadian philanthropy has quickly mobilized its efforts and resources to support Ukrainians affected by Russia’s illegal invasion.
The PhiLab team decided to provide an overview of the actions taken by the Canadian philanthropy in response to the war in Ukraine. This emergency special edition does not claim to represent the entirety of the actions taken, and instead presents a selection of initiatives. The objectives were to highlight the different action possibilities as well as to open up a public discussion to answer the question: what is the role of Canadian philanthropy during such a conflict?
We invite and encourage you to share your reflections on the subject with our team.
Enjoy your reading!
- Editorial: Canadian Philanthropy and the War in Ukraine, by Peter R. Elson, Adam Saifer and Iryna Khovrenkov, Western and Quebec Hubs
- Guerre en Ukraine et philanthropie canadienne : quelles actions possibles ?, by Jean-Marc Fontan, David Grant-Poitras and Diane Alalouf-Hall, Quebec Hub
- Fuir l’Ukraine: un voyage au bout de la peur, featuring: Diane Alalouf-Hall, Quebec Hub resercher, article by Claude Gauvreau
- Philanthropy can step up in Ukraine, by Philanthropic Foundations of Canada, PhiLab partner
- Update on Ukraine and the contributions of Canadian philanthropy, by Philanthropic Foundations of Canada, PhiLab partner
- Factsheet: Supporting those fleeing Ukraine as they arrive in Canada, by Community Foundations Canada, PhiLab partner
- Ukraine2Canada Travel Fund: New partnership to help Ukrainians come to Canada, initiative by the gouvernment of Canada, Miles4Migrants, The Shapiro Foundation and Air Canada.
PhiLab Podcast : Fighting Human Trafficking in Time of War with the NASHI Foundation
May 2022 Newsletter: War in Ukraine – The Role of Canadia Philanthropy
- Special Edition – War in Ukraine : The Role of Canadian Philanthropy
- PhiLab Podcast : Ep. 11 – Fighting Human Trafficking in Time of War | Guest : NASHI Foundation
- Featured Philanthropic Profile
- Featured Alliance Article