The federal government has officially responded to the Special Senate Committee on the Charitable Sector report: Catalyst for Change: A roadmap for a stronger charitable sector.
The government responded to the Senate report in three ways: supporting recommendations through profiling federal programs already in place; rejecting recommendations due to the existence of federal programs; and deferring recommendations for consideration by the Advisory Committee on the Charitable Sector (ACCS).
Issues the independent ACCS, in addition to its existing priorities, is now being asked to consider include:
- T3010 and T1044 content
- tax measures to strengthen charitable giving
- modification of restrictions on accessing capital
- equitable access to for-profit funding initiatives
- review the common law definition of charity
- review qualified donee and tax-preferred status policy
- amendments to the disbursement quota
- review tax treatment of NPOs