The Role of Grantmaking Foundations in Restructuring Ontario’s Philanthropic Action
Throughout and Beyond the COVID-19 Crisis
May 12th – 14th, 2021
Watch the conference videos here:
PhiLab’s Ontario Hub is hosting a 3-afternoon regional virtual conference with the purpose of bringing together established and emerging scholars, grantmaking foundations, and philanthropic organizations to develop a common understanding and direction on the challenges and priorities of philanthropic action in Ontario.
The conference has three key objectives:
- Develop common understanding of current and future challenges faced by philanthropic organizations in Canada.
- Establish joint research and development agenda for Ontario, integrating and coordinating the efforts of various actors (scholars, grantmaking foundations, community organizations and intermediary philanthropic organizations).
- Identify common priorities for collaborative partnership among new and emerging scholars, practitioners, and other philanthropic organizations.
Day 1: Post-COVID reality: Challenges and priorities faced by community organizations.
Day 2: The role of foundations in restructuring post-pandemic philanthropic action
Day 3: Establishing a joint philanthropic research and development agenda for the Ontario region.
May 12th: Current state of the sector and future challenges and priorities
12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m. Opening and keynote
Opening remarks: Jean-Marc Fontan
Keynote speaker: Andrew Chunilall, CFC
1:00 p.m.- 2:30 p.m. Session 1: Grantees and the post-COVID reality
- Presentation 1: Cathy Taylor, ONN
- Presentation 2: Adam Saifer, PhiLab: Pandemic influences on DEI nonprofits.
- Presentation 3: Jean-Marc Fontan, PhiLab: Granting agencies – the issue of management and administrative costs.
3:00p.m.—4:30p.m. Session 2: Sector-specific challenges
- Presentation 1: April Lindgren, PhiLab: Philanthropic support for Canadian journalism
- Presentation 2: Manuel Litalien, PhiLab: The philanthropic ecosystem in Northern communities
- Presentation 3: Francois Brouard, PhiLab: Sports organizations in a post-COVID-19 era
5:30p.m.—6:30p.m. Evening Social Introduction to the EDGE Funders Model by Ariane Shaffer
Facilitator: Juniper Glass
May 13th: The role of foundations in restructuring philanthropic action post COVID-19
1:00PM — 2:30 p.m. Session 3: Grantmaking foundations and their response to the current crisis
- Presentation 1: Isidora Sidorovska, PhiLab: Foundation responses to COVID-19
- Presentation 2: Paloma Raggo, Delphi Study— COVID-19 & Philanthropy
- Presentation 3: Megan Conway, The role and capacities of community foundations
3:00p.m.—4:30p.m. Session 4: Grantmaking priorities and the role of foundations in enabling a more resilient grassroot sector. The rationale and steps taken by foundations to support sector restructuring.
- Presentation 1: Marcel Lauzière, Lawson Foundation
- Presentation 2: Gillian White, Ontario Trillium Foundation
- Presentation 3: Stephanie Procyk, United Way GT
5:00p.m.-6:30p.m. Students only: Introduction to PhiLab and specific opportunities for collaboration and research funding
Facilitator: Katherine MacDonald
May 14th: Development of a joint research and development agenda
12:30p.m.—2:00p.m. Panel 1: Identification of sector priorities for future research and development.
- Scholar: Susan Phillips, Carleton University
- Foundations: Jean-Marc Mangin, PFC
- Community organizations: David Lasby, Imagine Canada
2:30p.m. -3:30p.m. Panel 2: How can the Ontario HUB support future sector priorities?
Facilitators: Manuel Litalien/ François Brouard
3:30p.m.—4:00p.m. Closing remarks Peter Elson
This event is sponsored by Charity Village
Since 1995, CharityVillage has been the HR partner for recruitment in the Canadian nonprofit sector. Our specialized job and volunteer board for Canadian nonprofit professionals has helped thousands of organizations find exceptional talent. Through our online learning courses, volunteer and event listings, webinars, newsletters, articles, tools and resources, we help nonprofit staff and volunteers do their best work every day.